ConFusion Code of Conduct
The Convention has a wide range of Members, and the Committee intend to provide a safe environment in which all members may enjoy the convention to the fullest. In order for the safe environment to be maintained, we ask all members (including but not limited to Guests, Traders, Staff, and Artists) to read, take note, of and abide by this Code of Conduct.
The following types of behaviour are unacceptable and will not be tolerated at the Convention:
- Use of bad language, verbal abuse, or swearing at other Members, Exhibitors, Organisers, Chair, and Volunteers for the Convention;
- Racial abuse, sexual harassment or unwelcome attention and intolerance of any sort;
- Disorderly behaviour of any sort including sustained disruption of events;
- “Following” someone in our social space GatherTown when you have been asked to stop.
- Advocating for or encouraging any of the above behaviour.
Not reading the terms and conditions does not exempt the Members from being bound by them.
The Code of Conduct governs not only behaviour at ConFusion, but also prior to the convention in certain spaces elsewhere, including but not limited to activity online, such as in GatherTown, messages or replies to ConFusion accounts on social media, and posts on ConFusion pages or in related groups.
Dealing with Code of Conduct issues
If you feel comfortable, address the person and the problem behaviour directly. In most cases this will be all that is required.
If you are not comfortable with a direct approach, or it proves insufficient, then you may:
- Report the matter to the Duty Committee Member. They will contact the Designated People described below, one or more of whom will come to talk to you as soon as possible; or
- Contact Operations, who will take it forward in the same manner; or
- Contact one of the Designated People directly, in person by emailing CodeOfConduct@ConFusion2021.uk
Please note that only the three Designated People will have access to this email account.
Convention response and responsibilities
The ConFusion Committee is responsible for enforcing the Code of Conduct and for maintaining confidentiality. This responsibility is delegated in the first instance to a team of three people (the Designated People), who will deal with complaints, and who are listed at the foot of this document.
At least two of those three are Committee members; one is not.
The complaint will be heard, in confidence, in a private place, and an appropriate response will be rendered by return when all the evidence for the case has been considered.
The standard of judgement in these matters is the “reasonable person” standard as applied by the Designated People, and by members of the Committee.
Sanctions for CoC violations
If the Committee or Chair, in their absolute discretion, considers that any Member is acting in a way which:
- Poses risks to the health and safety of others attending the Convention; and/or
- Is likely to cause offence or distress to others attending the Convention; and/or
- Breaches the Convention Code of Conduct or makes implicit the intention to do so.
They may take action, and this may include any of the following:
- Arbitration between the parties involved;
- One, and only one, verbal warning;
- Rescinding of convention membership without refund, and removing the Member from the Convention;
- Reporting the incident to the police.
The Committee’s decision in all Code of Conduct matters is final.
The names of the three Designated People are
- John Dodd
- Alice Lawson
- Christine Davidson
They can be contacted at CodeOfConduct@ConFusion2021.uk. In the event that an incident happens outside convention hours (convention hours are between 09:00 and 22:00 of each day), then email the team and a Designated Person will respond in the morning.
NOTE: Only the Designated People will have access to the dedicated email account.